Are you interested in learning what the Kestrel Talon Road Bike has to offer you? Who’s it best for? What are its standout features?
We’ve done all the research on this bike so that you don’t have to. To learn everything, you need to know about the Talon 105 model by Kestrel, take a look below.
Overview of Kestrel Talon X Shimano Road Bike Review
|Frame Size||XXS / XS – / S / M / L / XL|
|Frame Material||KSL carbon fiber frame|
|Bike Type||Triathlon Road Bike|
|Brakes||Tektro R540 Dual Pivot Brakes|
|Wheel Set||Oval Concepts 327, 700c 20/24H rims|
|Tires||Vittoria Zaffiro Pro, 700 x 25c, folding|
|Pros||Carbon fork, Affordable, Shimano Drivetrain, Lightweight frame|
|Cons||Have to buy pedal|
|Summary||Great for the beginner cyclist who wants reliable ride|
|Where to Buy||Check On Amazon|
Who Is the Bike Designed for & Suggested Sizing?
- This Kestrel bike is a fantastic option for beginner riders due to the features on offer and the affordable price it’s available at
- Those after a highly aerodynamic bike will appreciate the Aero Pro features
- With such a lightweight frame, this bicycle is best suited for people wanting to ride around at faster speeds
- The precise gear shifting and responsive frame make it ideal for fast biking
- It’s extremely versatile too and can be used for anything from triathlons and racing to more regular road use
- You can find it in a variety of sizes to ensure it fits you perfectly – these range from 48 cm at the lowest, to 60 cm at the highest
Feature Details of Kestrel Road Bike
Can you ride this bike and feel comfortable at the same time?
Oval Concepts is the brand who have constructed the saddle for this Kestrel bicycle. They’ve incorporated a 300T Tri saddle which rider are liking.
It provides you with a supportive yet stable seat.
The saddle itself is supported by a Kestrel EMS Pro Aero seat post. You’re able to easily adjust this post to alter the height to your exact preferences. Therefore, you can be sure easily change the heights to suit the activity on the day.
This makes it a great option for both casual riders and more competitive ones.
What makes the frame so special?
One of the standout features of this Kestrel bicycle is, without a doubt, its carbon frame.
It boasts an aerodynamic, lightweight, and sturdy design. We found the carbon fibre to be one of the driving factors that made this make feel so robust and lightweight to ride at the same time.
As a result of the strong frame, you can be sure to enjoy using this bicycle for a while and knowing it can withstand some damage.
The lightweight frame is what makes is so great for racers. You’re able to shift the weight of the bike from left to ride with minimal effort. This carbon frame also responds to your movements incredibly quickly too.
Does the wheel quality keep up with the other features?
The Kestrel Shimano 105 Road Bicycle uses Oval 327 wheels. While they aren’t the highest-quality wheels that you can find, they are still durable enough for this bike – especially when you take into consideration the price it’s available at.
When first riding out on this bicycle, you’ll find the wheels feel strong and lightweight. We liked how the rear wheel is equipped with four spokes. This feature helps to increase the weight capacity, while also ensuring you can ride at faster speeds.
You get to experience Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tires which work effectively to ensure grip on all surfaces, regardless of your speed.
Number of Speed
Are you looking for a speedy, lightweight bike?
Well, a very noteworthy aspect of this Kestrel Shimano bicycle is that seems to have been made for speed.
You’re able to choose between a wide variety of 11 gear speeds. Therefore, this makes it a lot easier when it comes to climbing up steep hills. As a result, your energy reserve doesn’t drain as quickly, and you can ride for longer.
In addition to the great speed features, you may be glad to hear that they are enhanced by the precise gear shifting.
With a Shimano derailleur, you can be sure to shift through gears smoothly. Typically, this kind of accurate and smooth shifting is found in bicycles of a higher price range.
When using the Talon 105 Bicycle, you’re exposed to an incredibly aerodynamic experience.
A lot of this is largely due to how the bike is designed to contour naturally to your body. There’s also an A2 wind tunnel and internally routed cables. The combination of those design features means that air can flow more freely along the bicycle.
Furthermore, this bicycle is equipped with advanced Kestrel H-Stays. These are identical in their shape and ensure that the chain stays remain as aerodynamic as possible.
However, they also work to provide more stiffness and a better transfer of energy that you create while pedalling.
As you now know, this Kestrel bicycle is made for speed. However, that also means they’ve had to put some extra attention into their braking mechanism.
So, how does it fare?
Well, the braking is pretty impressive. With the Tektro R540 dual-pivot callipers, the braking is very responsive.
Between the time it takes for you to squeeze the 105 STI brake levers, and for them to be engaged with the tires, you’ll find that there isn’t any time between them.
Despite the fact that the braking is very responsive, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s harsh. In fact, it’s the opposite. You’re given complete control over the braking, and it never feels too clunky, or overly sharp.
Pros & Cons of the Kestrel Road Bike
- You can easily adjust the saddle for a customized fit
- You can ride through all kinds of terrain with the 11-speeds available
- The derailleur equipped means you can shift through gear extremely smoothly
- The seat is made with a padded saddle, meaning you can enjoy long comfortable rides
- Since the frame is heavy-duty, you won’t have to worry about further maintenance down the road
- Since the frame is designed to be comfortable and durable, you can ride in all positions with comfort
- With a frame constructed from robust carbon fiber, you can be sure the construction will last you a while
- A pedal isn’t included in the order
- Some have found the assembly process to be tricky
Features at a Glance of Kestrel Bicycles
- A lightweight frame that weighs just 20 lbs, but can take up to 275 lbs
- Handling is easier due to lightweight design
- You get 11-speed gears for all terrains
- Kestrel EMS Pro Aero Seat Post for easier mounting
- Oval Concepts 372 alloy clinchers provide extra stability
- Carbon frame for increased durability
- Dual pivot break set for improved braking
- Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 700c x 25c tires provide the smooth riding
- Handlebar made with Oval Concepts for the ergonomic grip
- The front derailleur is a Shimano Tiagra Braze-on
- There’s also a rear derailleur which is a Shimano 105 11-speed
- A Shimano Tiagra 11-28T cassette is available
- The headset is FSA integrated with a 15mm top cover
- The fork is full carbon and EMS Pro SL Aero
FAQ & Answers
|Question: What is the psi with these tyres?|
|Answer: The Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tires can have a minimum psi of 100 and a maximum of 120.|
|Question: Does the bike come fully assembled?|
|Answer: The pedals aren’t the only thing you’ll have to work on assembling. The bicycle is delivered almost completely assembled. However, you have to assemble the seat and handlebars yourself. To be fully covered by their warranty, Kestrel advises customers to have their bicycles put together at a bike store.|
|Question: What year was the bike made in?|
|Answer: It was made in 2016. However, this doesn’t detract from the quality, and it’s one of their newest bicycle models.|
|Question: Is this a good bicycle for women?|
|Answer: A lot of the time, women are advised that they should find bicycles that are specifically made for them. When it comes to the Kestrel Bicycle, you’ll be glad to hear it’s an excellent choice for women and men. However, this is only the case if you manage to pick the right size. Provided you pick the right sized frame, you’ll find the construction of the bike works well for all people.|
|Question: Should you seek further coverage with Amazon?|
|Answer: The warranties that Kestrel offer make customers feel assured. Therefore, we wouldn’t say it was a necessity to get additional coverage from Amazon. It’s not needed as Kestrel deals with customers well on their own.|
One of the pitfalls to purchasing bicycles in this more affordable price range is that you often need additional gear and equipment.
The Kestrel provides a good range of components in the package. That’s what makes it such a great choice for beginners who aren’t sure about what extra upgrades they may need.
Having said that, you will need to purchase your pedals and fit them on. Therefore, you may want to consider purchasing the pedals separate before the bicycle arrives. This means you can attach them and be ready to ride on the same day.
What’s our final say on the Kestrel Talon Bike? Is it worth it?
People looking to participate in faster competitive races may struggle a little. The 11-speeds on offer can’t quite compete with some of the higher-end bikes.
On the other hand, when you consider the affordable price and wide range of riding benefits on offer, we feel very confident in recommending this bike.
Beginners, in particular, will experience the most benefits. The features we’ve discussed are what you’d expect from a bike in a higher price range. So, it can be a nice boost up for complete newbies to start out on.
Intermediate riders will also find this bike lasts them for a good amount of time
Take the information provided here about the Kestrel bike to help make the best decision for your biking needs.
Related Articles – Top Rated Road Bikes Under $1500 in 2020 – Buying Guide
Last Update: 3rd May, 2020